Lately alot of people have been asking me if I'm going to apply for U.S. citizenship when my permanent residency paperowrk is done. They seem genuinely shocked when I tell them no. I mean no offence to my American friends and family, most Americans I have met have been very pleasant people, however I feel no need to hold dual citizenship. Not only am I proud to be Canadian but I love being a Canadian. I don't need U.S. citizenship to feel like my life is complete. There is nothing the U.S. can offer me that I can't get the same, or better, in Canada. Not to mention I like people's attitudes and outlooks much better back home.
When I am travelling or in an airport and I see someone with a U.S. passport I can't help but feel very proud and somewhat smug that in my hot little hand I have something even better; a Canadian passport. It's like the feeling you get when you come in first place in a competition; very proud, somewhat smug and a little sorry for the second place finisher.
I am a citizen of the greatest country on Earth; that's all I want and need.
Hope that clears up some of the confusion :)
Tuesday, June 08, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment