Saturday, December 20, 2003

Ok, taking a break from cleaning. Also waiting for water to boil so I can make KD for lunch. And spaghetti squash for dinner, yummy!
I wil preface this next part by saying: my mom, sister and I don't particularly care for my Uncle Tom's gf Kit. She has 0 sense of humour, is very sour most of the time and thinks she is right about everything all the time. She doesn't try to hide that she thinks she smarter than everyone else and is just generally a bugger to be around. But we're nice to her because we love my uncle. He on the other hand, is hysterical, laidback, thoughtful, basically everything opposite from Kit. My Nana doesn't like her that much either, but never says anything, and my dad and Craig don't think she's all that bad.

I talked to my Nana this morning and she made some comment about upcoming Christmas family gatherings after the incident at my uncle's birthday party last week. This was all news to me....I guess the card my mom gave him (her brother) read, 'Happy 50th Birthday', and made some joke about getting old. My uncle has a great sense of humour so all is good. Then Kit looks at the card and turns to my mom and says defiantly, 'He's not 50, he's 46'. My uncle is definitely turning 50 so unless he has some vanity issue and told Kit he's turning 46 (which if you know my uncle is highly unlikely) then I don't know where she got that. So my mom fires back, 'I think I know how old my own brother is, I helped raise him'. So then I guess Kit said something back and my uncle broke it up by making some joke about just being old in general.
Afterward my mom talked to my Nana and told her she was really disgusted and didn't want anything further to do with Kit. This suits me and Kim fine, but I am okay putting up with her for the sake of being able to spend time with my uncle. Mom is not. I'm not sure how this will play out over Christmas.

It sounds like a small issue if you don't know how things have been for the last few years since Kit and Tom have been together. But to my mom this was the straw that broke the camel's back. I can't say I blame her. If someone had said the same thing to me about Kim I would have been pissed. It's one thing to say, "Are you 50? Oh, I thought you were 46, my bad!", but to say to someone's sibling "You're wrong, you don't know how old your brother is", is kind of rude.

My Nana said Tom didn't look that good; she doesn't know if it's work stress, or getting sick or Kit or what. She is going to try to get him alone (good luck with Kit) and talk to him to see what's wrong.

End of rant.

No comments: