I heard that John Mellencamp song Small Town when I was in Kingston and I really related to the lyrics. I'm not usually one for finding meanings in songs but this was just like me
I cannot forget from where it is that I come from,
I cannot forget the people who love me.
I can be myself here in this small town,
And people let me be just who I wanna be.
Granted K-town isn't exactly a small town and is twice the size of Yuma, but there is none of that social class bullshit that runs rampant down here. In Yuma all those SUV-driving doctors' wives in their Nordstrom clothes stare down their snotty noses at us "regular" people.
That's what I miss about K-town; everyone just mingles regardless of class or occupation. I read an article once that had polled an equal number of Canadians and Americans who had won substantial amounts playing the lottery. The first things most of the Americans did was buy the biggest house in the ritziest neighborhood and buy new cars, etc., etc. The Canadians, for the most part, paid off some debts and continued living like before they won.
That's one of the things I won't miss about this country if I ever get to leave.
And what is with parents down here buying their teenage, barely-able-to-drive, kids cars and shit?? Maybe they should stop trying to ease their guilt over never being around with material junk and work on spending more time with their kids.
That "I work 60 hours a week so I can make lots of money and buy the newest, biggest SUV and go on fabulous trips without my kids, and go into debt up to my eyeballs so everyone thinks I am well-off, but to make up for my selfishness I'll buy my kid a car when they turn 16" mentality.
Makes me want to vomit.
Another one of the things I won't miss.
Friday, October 24, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment