DISCLAIMER: The following will most likely make some very angry. It is not my intention to offend anyone, but this is my blog and I write what I please. If you are easily offended, pro-Bush, ultra-conservative (or any combination thereof) I'm warningn you now, you probably don't want to read this. This entry is basically just for me; when people look at me in disgust wondering how I can support Kerry and they call me "unpatriotic" and a "traitor" (yes, I really have had those things yelled at me) this is what I want to tell them:
Over 1,000 U.S. troops dead.
Over 100,000 Iraqi civilians dead.
Nearly 100 billion dollars, that could have been spent on healthcare for children, the elderly and low-income families, education, medical research or low-income housing instead spent on searching for non-existant Weapons of Mass Destruction. Does it make the lie easier to swallow when they tell you "the weapons were there, but they were moved before we found them."?
No Child Left Behind sounds great in principal. Too bad they didn't fully fund it, leaving schools holding the bag when their students aren't up on the standardized tests. Lots of showy talk, not much action.
The Patriot Act. That is a good name for it, huh? "Do what we tell you or else you are unpatriotic". Scare tactics, anyone? Do you know that the Patriot Act, among other things, means the government knows what books your children check out of the library?
Flip flopping? Did you know that Bush was initially opposed to forming the Department of Homeland Security before he was in favour of it? Did you know that he was opposed to NCLB before he decided to support it? Do you remember when he wouldn't testify before the senate hearings, then he would, then he would only do it if Cheney could be there with him? Sounds an awful lot like the pot calling the kettle black.
Newsflash: Those tax cuts? To enjoy the standards of life that we North Americans have come to expect, taxes are a necessary evil. It would be nice though if they were spent responsibly on medical programs and education for instance instead of waging illegal wars on countries we have decided we don't like (Vietnam, anyone?).
Declaring war on countries we don't like. There are other countries in the world ruled by dictators worse than Saddam Hussein, but they aren't oil-rich nations, so we let them be. It's very convenient that Iraq just happens to have alot of oil under their sand.
I support the troops, I want them home. They have done an honorable thing by enlisting to defend their country. THEIR country. Why are they dying in Iraq when Iraq did nothing to us? Everyone and their dog has concluded there were no connections between Iraq and 9/11, so don't bother trying to feed me that garbage.
I am pro-choice, not pro-abortion. Pro-abortion means that I would be actively advocating abortions left, right and center. I don't. But the right should be there for women to choose. Abortions are going to happen whether they are legal or not (that has already been proven), but I would prefer they are kept safe instead of ending in botched jobs with wire coat-hangars.
Don't tell me I am unpatriotic because I don't support Bush. A democracy without dissent is not truly a democracy (that is a quote but I forget by whom). I don't have to like Bush to love America.
Monday, November 01, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment